I was meant to be doing some spring cleaning but being a great procrastinator I started reading my old travel journals instead. They were covered in a layer of dust which I blew off to give them a clean. I figure dusting the journals counts as doing some spring cleaning, does it not?
This is where I came across my bucket list and do you know what? I have achieved my 40 before 40 bucket list! That is right, give me a high five and lets do a happy dance. Does anyone high five these days or should I be saying give me some knuckles?
Any way I was surprised at how many things I have achieved and ecstatic that I have achieved so much before I turn 40.
Here is what I have ticked off on my bucket list so far.
40 before 40 bucket list
- Sail on a felucca down the nile in Egypt
- Visit Abu Simble in Egypt
- Relax on the beaches in Mauritius
- White water rafting in Bali
- Learn to surf
- Snorkel at Sipadan in Borneo
- Visit the Orangutans in Borneo
- Climb Mount Kinabalu in Borneo
- Explore Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- Visit Disneyland in Hong Kong
- Shop in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Jungle trek in Thailand
- Boat ride Halong Bay in Vietnam
- Visit the dolphins at Monkey Mia
- Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
- Ride in a jet boat in New Zealand
- Skydive over Lake Wanaka in New Zealand
- Cycle in Amsterdam
- Live and work in England
- Eat strawberries and cream at Wimbledon Tennis, England
- Watch a cabaret show in Paris, France
- Island hop in Greece
- Spend St Patrick’s in Dublin, Ireland
- Kiss the Blarney Stone, Ireland
- Eat pizza in Italy
- Gondola ride in Venice, Italy
- Visit Edinburgh, Scotland
- Admire the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City
- Find the house my grandfather was bought up in, Wales
- Live and work in Canada
- Dog sledding in Canada
- Visit the Mayan Ruins, Mexico
- Work at a summer camp in the USA
- Place a bet in Las Vegas
- Helicopter ride over Grand Canyon
- Swim to Rotto in a team of four (19.7km open water swim)
- Swim to Rotto in a duo (19.7km open water swim)
- Do a triathlon (750m swim/21km cycle/5km run)
- Run city to surf (12km run)
- Play water polo
Now I am updating my list and adding new dreams!
I figure that you are never too old to set a new goal so I have added a few more things that I want to achieve. It may just become my 50 before 50 bucket list.
Travel around Australia as a family
How amazing would it be to spend a year or more travelling Australia. I am following lots of families on social media who are currently travelling and it makes me feel like we really can achieve this dream.
Camp at El Questro
El Questro Wilderness Park is located in the Kimberley, Western Australia. I want to hitch up the camper trailer and spend a week or more visiting the gorges, waterfalls and everything else it has to offer.
Hike part of the Bibbulmun track
The Bibbulmun Track is one of the world’s great long distance walk trails, stretching 1000km from Kalamunda in the Perth Hills, to Albany on the south coast, winding through the heart of the scenic South West of Western Australia.
Family holiday in Hawaii
I have been telling everyone that my partner Dixie is taking me to Hawaii for my 40th so he better deliver!!! Nothing like putting pressure on the poor bloke. I am not sure what it is about Hawaii but from the time I was a child I have had a strong desire to go there.
Swim with Whale Sharks in Exmouth
Dixie and I went to Exmouth when we first met and we decided to not swim with the whale sharks due to our finances. I am kicking myself now, why didn’t I just bite the bullet and spend the money. I don’t regret many things in life but this is one.
Visit Mount Augustus
Mount Augustus is a rock that is about 8 kilometres long and it is the biggest rock in the world. It is actually twice the size of Uluru! The national park is located in the north of Western Australia and it would really be something special to visit.
When I was backpacking around the world I fell in love with the spanish language. I would love to take lessons and speak another language.
Swim in an ocean pool
As a child I grew up watching Home and Away and I always loved it when they showed footage of people swimming in the ocean pool. I am a keen swimming so I want to put on the cap and googles and swim a few kilometres.
Stand Up Paddle Board
I love everything about the ocean and I have never been on a stand up paddle board. Everyone looks so relaxed when they are on a board and out on the water. I can see myself now paddling on the water as the sun goes down.
I tried scuba diving when I was in Bali but I could not get my ears to equalise. I was in a group and everyone had already descended and they were just waiting on me. I felt like I was holding everyone up so I returned to the surface. I would really like to give it another try and hopefully I will have a better experience.
Don’t be afraid to dream big as you can make it happen. I am shy country girl and when I told everyone that I was going backpacking around the world on my own they all said you will be back in a few months. I surprised them all, took the bull by the horns and explored the world.
Do you have a bucket list? Please share some of your dreams with me as I would love to hear about them.