I must admit when we go camping, lollies, chips and other processed foods sneak their way into our trolley. I take the easy option and provide far too many treats for our family.
Just because we are going away doesn’t mean our eating habits should change. Don’t get me wrong we will still have a few red wines and roast marshmallows around the campfire. We all need a few little indulgences after all!
Being a seasoned camper I have a few tips on staying healthy while you are camping.
It is important to stay hydrated especially when you are camping and out in the elements. That Aussie sun is a killer and can dehydrate you in no time! I have been adding lemon to my water which not only keeps me hydrated but it assists in weight loss, boosts the immune system, supports the digestive system and promotes clear skin.
Be Prepared and Meal Plan
Storage space is usually limited and you don’t have all the cooking appliances from home. Meals need to be planned according to your fridge space and what cooking equipment you have available.
Work out some healthy meals that are easy to cook and prepare while you are camping. Keep it simple. After a day exploring you want a quick and easy meal that is also delicious and nutritious. Barbeques, salads and one-pot dishes are always a good option.
Shop at Farmer Markets
There is nothing better than eating fresh produce. It is even better when you know you are helping out a local farmer. I love finding a great Farmer Market. Don’t forget you can usually pick up a great bargain at the end of the day.
When you are on the road keep your eye out for roadside stalls. Pick up some fresh fruit, vegetables, honey and eggs. Many of these stalls operate on an honour system so be sure to have some cash on you!
Just because you are travelling don’t let it be an excuse not to exercise. There are plenty of things you can do to keep up your exercise routine while you are away.
Smash out a workout at your campsite before you start the day’s activities. Ditch the car and explore your new surrounds on foot or on a bike. Swim in the ocean or lake, take a local exercise class or do some yoga in the forest. The options are endless!
To be honest I think I move my body more while I am camping.
Cooking and Storage Tips
- Cryovac meat so it takes up less space.
- Add eggs to a plastic bottle. It saves storage space and also stops you from having cracked eggs. The eggs can be used as a scramble or in an omelette.
- Salad dressings can be made at home and stored in a jar so you don’t need to bring all the ingredients.
- Chop vegetables at home and store in a container or zip lock bag to save space.
- Pre-measure dry baking ingredients such as damper or pancakes and store them in an airtight container or zip lock bag. Simply add the wet ingredients when you are at camp and cook.
- Use long-life milk as it saves space and can be stored out of the fridge until you need to use it.
- Bring containers to store leftovers or open packets of food.
If you have any tips on staying healthy while travelling please let me know as I would love to hear them.