Thanks to the lovely Kat of Travel with Kat who hosted Travel Photo Roulette round 117 with the theme light. My photo of Lake Serene at Boshack Outback (farm stay in Western Australia) was selected as the winning entry.
The key responsibility of the winner is to host the next round of Photo Roulette.
Travel Photo Roulette #118: Traditions
It is that time of year when so many of us are getting ready to celebrate Christmas and preparing traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation.
You don’t need to share a christmas tradition it can be anything from a traditional ceremony to a traditional dance.
Entries for Travel Photo Roulette #118: Traditions
Tom from Anita’s Feast
The alphorn is the Swiss national instrument and symbol of dairy farming. The Swiss farmers first used the alphorns to signal each other across the alpine valleys.
Carole from Berkeley and Beyond
Based on a 16th-century story, the Barong and Kris Dance is performed daily in Bali. The barong in this traditional performance looks like a lion or tiger, and drives away evil spirits. Atonal music accompanies.
“Thanaka” is a most ubiquitous tradition in Myanmar – the pale yellow paste graces the cheeks of most every woman and child. This image was quite the sweet bit of serendipity. While trekking among the hill tribe villages between Kalaw and Inle Lake, I slept in local homes. One morning, as I lay on my bamboo mat on the floor of my homestay – a faint creak of the flooring (luckily) prompted me to open my eyes… There in the corner knelt this young lad, carefully applying “thanaka” to his cheeks by the dim light from the window.
Juergen from Dare2go
“In Pátzcuaro, Michoacán province of Mexico, you can see the regional “Danza de los Viejitos (Old Man’s Dance), which dates back to times before the conquest. It is performed by young boys wearing crude masks of old people along with their typical campesino clothing and straw hats decorated with colorful ribbons. Wooden sandals on their feet accompany the rhythm of the Mariachi band. The dance sets off slowly, old men bend on their sticks and holding their backs as if in pain. As the tempo of the music increases the dancers clack their sandal soles loudly and energetically on the ground and pound their canes, which miraculously no longer seem to be needed to hold them up. Finally the dance winds down when they all are overcome again by their ages, and they shuffle unsteadily away to the dying music. Quite a spectacle!”
Travel Photo Roulette Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (i.e. using Photoshop to remove elements) is not.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase – and the connection is comprehensible!
- Keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized (800 pixels wide is good)
- If you win, you will host the next round (runs for 7 days) and so choose the next theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments” or with a dash of focus such as “monuments at night”, which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.”
- Themes can be reused after 1 year, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
How to Enter
It’s so easy! To enter the Travel Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with:
- a link to the image (whether Flickr, 500px, Trover, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) and
- a short description as to why this image represents this round’s theme of light.
As photos are submitted, I will add them to the post. Check back to see your entry! Submissions will close on Saturday 26th December 2015 at midnight GMT. I will select the winner and notify him/her shortly thereafter. He/she will then host the next round of Travel Photo Roulette #119. Please share the contest across social media using the hashtag #photoroulette – the more entries the better.
Previous Winners of Travel Photo Roulette
Check out some of the previous rounds to see some really fabulous photography collections.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream: Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker: Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream: Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ: Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust: Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back: Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD: Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate: Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond: Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky: Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam: Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles: The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures: Changing Seasons
- April 2011 Shutterfeet: Storytelling
- April 2011 10 Times One: Piousness
- April 2011 Beached Eskimo: Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies: Architecture
- June 2011 Destination World [-404-]: Transportation
- June 2011 Living the Dream: Paradise
- June 2011 Vagabond Quest: Clothes
- July 2011 The Unframed World: Symmetry
- July 2011 Beached Eskimo: Home
- July 2011 BackPackerBanter: Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader: Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe: Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer: Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan: City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com: Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart: Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest: Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels: Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls: Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam: Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout: Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel: Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One: Depth of the Field
- Feb 2012 Runaway Juno: … Digital Nomad Moment
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba: Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat: Local Character
- April 2012 The Travel Bunny: Street Scene
- April 2012 Adventure Crow [-404-]: Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss [-404-]: Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson: Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ: Once In A Lifetime
- July 2012 Dusty Main: Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away: Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges & Balloons: Splendour…
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester: What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno: Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin: Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories: Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker: Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly: Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions: Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters: The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies: Patterns
- April 2013 Living the Dream: Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped: The Sun Goes Down
- June 2013 The GypsyNester: Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- June 2013 Boomeresque: Revolution
- July 2013 Breakaway Backpacker: Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World: Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports & Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery: The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet?: Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester: Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World: Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography: Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman: Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel: Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks: Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50: Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller: Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole: Umbrellas
- April 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- April 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me: Mouthwatering
- June 2014 20 Years Hence: The Face of A Nation
- July 2014 Two for the Road: Into the Wild
- July 2014 TurtlesTravel: Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia: Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth: Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out: Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet: Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth: The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts: Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream: Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped: Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ: Viewpoint
The winners and themes in 2015. Click the link to go directly to that entry to see some fab photographs.
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan: WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth: Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos?: Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost: Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings: Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel: What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz: Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers: Celebrate
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour: Epic
- May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows: Landscape
- May 2015 We Travel Together: Wildlife
- May 2015 Vagabond Way: Festival
- June 2015 Travel Addicts: Landmarks
- June 2015 TravelnLass: Wrinkles
- July 2015 Anita’s Feast: Food Markets
- July 2015 Dare2Go: Dry
- August 2015 Travel Past 50: Home
- August 2015 Barefoot Nomad: Door
- September 2015 House Sitting Travel: Shapes
- September 2015 Berkeley and Beyond: Cemeteries
- October 2015 Dare2Go: Reflections
- October 2015 Journey Jottings: Thirst Quenching
- November 2015 Not A Ballerina: Home Away From Home
- November 2015 Nibble, Sip, Wander: Holiday
- December 2015 Travel with Kat: Light
The winning entry of round #118 is:
Congratulations to Travel n Lass!
Thank you to everyone who entered.